Tate Depot

Tate depot in new location, April 2015

In April 2015, Tate's historic L&N depot was moved across Highway 53 to a new site that places it a bit farther away from the tracks and the road. The measure improves safety at the busy intersection while preserving the building for future use.

Constructed in 1916, the depot served L&N's Old Line, also known as the Hook & Eye Line, for decades. It is similar in design to the depots at Blue Ridge, Chatsworth, Holly Springs, Jasper, Ellijay, and Woodstock.

Tate, a Pickens County community five miles south of Jasper, is known for the quarries of the Georgia Marble Company. Near the depot is the Tate mansion, built in 1926 by Colonel Sam Tate using pink marble mined from his quarries.

The rail line is now operated by the Georgia Northeastern Railroad.

Tate depot being readied for move, 2015.

Preparing for the move, March 24, 2015.

spacer

Tate depot at new site. Tracks in foreground.

After the move, April 12, 2015.

 

The depot in May 2013.

 

L&N 364 at Tate GA Sept 1966. Photo credit: George Lane, SSAVE. Some photo rights reserved; see this link at Creative Commons. For source photo, see this page at Flickr.

The Georgia Northeastern's locomotive servicing facility stands to the north of the depot.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home