Stone Mountain Depot

The former Georgia Railroad depot in Stone Mountain was built in 1856-57 and enlarged in 1914. Constructed of granite from nearby quarries, it served the railroad for almost a century, until the railroad agency closed in 1955.

The building was used as the town's city hall and police station until 2011. After the opening of a new city hall in 2012, the depot will be converted to a visitors center, museum, and Downtown Development Authority office.

Breezeway arch.

Street side.

This early view shows the streetside loading dock which was later removed.

The depot was partially burned in 1864 by Union troops, who also took up a number of rails, heated them white hot, and twisted them around trees and poles to prevent their reuse by the Confederates. The mangled rails became known as Sherman's Neckties. A nearby sculpture helps visitors visualize the results.

This 1864 photo shows Sherman's men tearing up railroad tracks in the center of Atlanta. On the right is the demolished Union Station of 1853.
(Library of Congress).

"Sherman's Necktie" sculpture near the depot. Its twisted rails and cut telegraph lines symbolize the destruction of a century and a half ago.

Stone Mountain is a city of 5,871 on the east side of metro Atlanta.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home