Stillmore Depots

Stillmore Air Line Railway depot

2015 photo by David W. Ray.

Two depots stand in Stillmore. Above is the Stillmore Air Line Railway depot, constructed around 1899. Only the center portion is original. The left side addition was built around 1974 as a garage; it had a garage door facing the street. The date of the smaller addition on the right side is uncertain.

The building is currently in use as the Stillmore Museum.

Stillmore depot

2015 photo by David W. Ray.

This depot, now used as a community house, stands on the same block as the Stillmore Air Line depot. Architectural historian David W. Ray notes that its simple strutlike eave brackets are similar to those on the depot at Twin City, suggesting that both were built by the same railroad: the Georgia & Florida Railway or one of its local predecessors, the Millen & Southern or the Millen & Southwestern.

spacer

1910 map of railroads at Stillmore

Stillmore is just below the center of the 1910 map above. At the time, its railroads were the Georgia & Florida (G.&F.), Wadley Southern (W.S.), and Central of Georgia (C.of G.).
From 1910 Rand McNally Map of Georgia
.

spacer

Stillmore depot

spacer

Stillmore depot

 

Stillmore (pop. 526) is in Emanuel County, 75 miles west of Savannah.

 

spacer 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home