Other Savannah Depots

The 1929 Seaboard Freight Station (above) is on Louisville Road at West Boundary Street, behind the Georgia State Railroad Museum. It has been rehabbed and now houses the offices of several small firms.

The old Savannah and Atlanta Railway offices and depot (above) are located farther up Louisville Road (at Stiles Avenue). Built for the Midland Railway in 1916, the structure was taken over by the S&A in 1924, not long after the Midland entered receivership.

A former Central of Georgia freight warehouse stands at 415 W. Boundary Street a couple of blocks south of the Seaboard depot, behind the Georgia State Railroad Museum. The 1920 building (above) is now used by Savannah College of Art and Design as its Boundary Hall, a 15,000-square-foot facility for the college's sculpture program.

(Note: The faded sign across the top of the building once read "Brinson Railway.")


Alongside the river a couple of miles east of downtown, is this former Central of Georgia depot (above and below), now used as a ticket office for the Fort Jackson historic site. Once a station on the Savannah-Tybee railroad, it was moved here from downtown Savannah in 1988.

Its original location was at Randolph and President streets on the east side of the National Historic Landmark District. An early view is online at Armstrong Atlantic State University's web site as part of AASU's Savannah Images Project. More info on the depot is also available at roadsidegeorgia.com.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home