Central of Georgia Passenger Station
Savannah

Savannah's Central of Georgia Railway passenger station still stands at 303 M. L. King, Jr. Blvd. The structure, designed by Augustus Schwaab in 1860, includes the original train shed, completed in 1876, at the rear. It now houses the Savannah Visitors Center in the main building and the Savannah History Museum in the train shed.

The station is part of a complex that includes former Central offices, repair shops, and warehouses.

At the station's rear is the oldest surviving long-span, trussed-roof train shed in the nation.

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division (see below).

Photos and architectural drawings of the station made by the Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress) are available online. The 39 black-and-white photos show overall and detailed views of the station exterior, along with some interior shots of the train shed.

Many more photos and drawings of the Central of Georgia Railway complex, including the roundhouse, repair shops, offices, bridges, and numerous other features are available through the LOC website. Quick access is through the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog. Search for "Central of Georgia."

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home