Sardis Depot

The depot at Sardis is now the town's city hall and police station.

Sardis did not have a railroad until 1911, when the Brinson Railway was extended from Millhaven to Waynesboro. The line later became the Savannah & Northwestern, followed by the Savannah & Atlanta and the Central of Georgia. In 1962 the Central abandoned the section of line between Waynesboro and Sylvania, leaving Sardis once again without a railroad.

Next to the depot is this impressive coaling tower which was used to load coal into the tenders of steam locomotives. For examples of other such towers in Georgia, see the coaling towers page.

Sardis (pop. 1,008) is in Burke County, about 40 miles southeast of Augusta.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home