Rome Depots

Rome's Visitor Center occupies a small depot atop Jackson Hill, just off Turner-McCall Blvd. in the northeastern corner of downtown. The building was moved here from Reeves, a Gordon County community on the former Southern Railway (now Norfolk Southern) about 18 miles northeast of Rome.

(Above) The Reeves depot in Rome.

(Above) A semaphore signal has been preserved at the depot.

Rome's own Southern Railway passenger depot burned on November 15, 1974. Built around 1900, it stood in east Rome on the north side of E. Callahan Street, a short distance north of the present-day intersection of Highways 53 and 293.

It replaced a depot constructed by Southern's predecessor East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad sometime around 1884. It also burned, in 1899. A photo of this depot is online at Georgia's Virtual Vault.

Above and below, three views of Rome's Southern Railway passenger depot.

Southern Railway freight depot.

Between First and Second Avenues at East Second Street stands Southern Railway's former freight depot (above). The building now houses various facilities of the Harbin Clinic.

Rome also had stations serving the Central of Georgia and the NC&St.L railroads. The Central station was located at the south end of the old railroad bridge over the Oostanaula river (Robert Redden foot bridge).

The NC&St.L station was on the south side of Broad Street, at First Avenue. Constructed around 1900, it was demolished in 1974, despite the efforts of a group of Rome citizens to preserve it. A small park was built on its site.

(Above) An old postcard view of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis passenger station, better known as the "Broad Street depot." The Central of Georgia's passenger station stood a half-block north.

1890s view of the lower Broad Street area and Etowah River bridge. The view is from Myrtle Hill Cemetery.
From: Floyd County, Ga. [Map]. Floyd County Commissioners of Roads and Revenues, c1895. Complete map is online at Library of Congress here.

The NC&St.L had come to town by purchasing the Rome Railroad, which ran to a junction with the Western & Atlantic at Kingston, in 1894. Above is an illustration showing the Rome R.R. depot with its two-story passenger section adjoining the freight house.

This 1893 Sanborn map shows the Rome Railroad depot and the tracks of the three railroads in the area.
From: Sanborn map of Rome, 1893. Complete map is online at Digital Library of Georgia, Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home