Constructed in 1849, the Western & Atlantic depot at Ringgold is one of the state's oldest rail stations. In 1862 Andrews' Raiders sped by here in the locomotive General followed closely by their pursuers in the Texas. Andrews' unsuccessful attempt to disrupt Confederate rail operations came to an end two miles to the north of here.
After sustaining damage from Union artillery during the November 27, 1863 Battle of Ringgold, the 14-inch sandstone walls of the building were repaired with limestone blocks, giving the depot a distinct two-toned appearance.
A major rehabilitation of the building was completed in 2003. (U.S. 41 at Depot Street).
More info on the depot at roadsidegeorgia.com.
An old photo of this depot is online at the Vanishing Georgia website.