|Richland’s 1913 passenger depot stands at the former junction of two Seaboard Air Line Railway lines. Running east-west was the Savannah, Americus & Montgomery, which became the Georgia & Alabama in 1895 before being merged into the Seaboard in 1900. Crossing it north-south was a line between Columbus and Albany, the former Columbus Southern Railway.
Also, a third line, the former Georgia, Florida & Alabama Railway, began here. It ran south nearly 200 miles to Carrabelle, Florida, on the Gulf coast. It was leased by Seaboard in 1930.
The depot now houses a small rail museum along with city offices. The tile-roofed structure was rehabilitated in 2002 with $400,000 in Transportation Enhancement funds and $130,000 from other sources.
A separate freight depot once stood on the east side of the building. Its site is now the depot parking lot.