Pelham Depots

Pelham's former Atlantic Coast Line depot now houses city hall. The railroad was constructed as the South Georgia & Florida in the 1860s. It became a branch of the Atlantic & Gulf, later the Savannah, Florida & Western of the Plant System, and in 1902 was sold to ACL.

The building is notable for its brick construction and large open-air freight platform on its south end.

A couple of blocks west is the former Flint River & Northeastern depot. The 23-mile FR&NE connected Pelham with the Georgia Northern at Ticknor, near Doerun.

J. L. Hand, the railroad's president, owned the J. L. Hand Trading Company, a mercantile business known throughout southwest Georgia. Hand's giant store still stands across the street. The four-story structure is partly visible on the left side of the photo above.

The depot as it looked after removal of the tracks.

An old postcard image of the FR&NE depot. The building in the foreground is the Carnegie Library, which still stands.

Pelham (pop. 4,029) is in Mitchell County about 40 miles south of Albany.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home