Palmetto Depot

Palmetto's depot, built in 1917, served the Atlanta & West Point Railroad for nearly a half-century before being adapted for municipal uses in the 1960s.

In 2006, Georgia DOT provided $750,000 through federal Transportation Enhancement funding to rehab the building. This was later increased to $1.2 milllion with the city paying twenty percent of the total as a local match to secure the federal funding. After an 18-month rehabilitation, the depot reopened in the fall of 2012 as a community center housing a local history museum, banquet hall, and conference room.

Over the years, the building suffered several unsightly alterations, as seen in this 2003 trackside photo.

A town of 3,500 people, Palmetto is located in south Fulton County about 15 miles southwest of Atlanta.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home