Newnan Depots

Old photo of Newnan's A&WP RR passenger station

The freight room of Newnan's Atlanta & West Point Railroad depot still stands, but the passenger section, shown in the old photo above, is gone. Its site is now occupied by the gravel parking lot shown in the foreground of the photo below.

The freight room section of the depot is still standing.

Trackside.

1897 architect's rendering of Newnan's A&WP RR passenger station

This drawing is part of an architect's 1897 rendering for the building. The entire image can be viewed online at Georgia's Virtual Vault.

The depot is now a special event facility managed by the Newnan-Coweta Historical Society.

A couple of blocks down the tracks to the south on Savannah Street, the A&WP (now CSX) crossed over the Central of Georgia (now Norfolk Southern). On the northwest corner of the junction once sat Newnan's union depot, constructed in 1911 (below). The L-shaped structure featured a corner office with platforms alongside both tracks. It was torn down in 1970.

Union Depot.

Newnan (pop. 34,174) is 42 miles southwest of downtown Atlanta. It is the county seat of Coweta County and its largest town.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home