Montezuma Depots

(2007 photo)

Montezuma's 1890 Central of Georgia depot was constructed on the site of an earlier depot. A concrete platform was added in 1924, and in 1932 a brick firewall was built near the center of the building. The depot was rehabilitated in 2001-2002 under the guidance of architect W. Lane Greene of Atlanta.

The National Register-listed structure was given by Norfolk Southern to the Macon County Historical Society in 1980. It now serves as the Macon County Museum. (S. Dooly St. at E. Railroad St.).

Above, state leaders on a multi-city tour of rehabilitated downtown buildings visit Montezuma's depot.

Above and below, the depot before rehab work was begun.

The Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad also built a depot in Montezuma, but one must drive to Tifton to see it. The 1905 structure was moved to the Georgia Museum of Agriculture and Historic Village (formerly Agrirama) at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (ABAC) in the mid-1970s and restored as a museum piece.

Originally it stood on the west side of downtown Montezuma about 200 feet south of the current Norfolk Southern (former Central of Georgia) tracks. At the time the AB&A tracks went down the middle of Cherry Street through the central business district and beside the post office. The tracks were relocated to the south side of the downtown several decades ago.

Above and below, Montezuma's AB&A depot at Tifton.

Montezuma (pop. 3,372) is located in Macon County in west central Georgia.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home