Monroe Depot

(2012 photo)

The former Georgia Railroad depot at Monroe was built sometime around 1885. These photos show the building before and after a recent rehabilitation.

(2003 photo)

Monroe was at the north end of the railroad's 10-mile branch from the main line at Social Circle. From 1884 to 1948, the town also had a rail connection to Winder and Gainesville through the Gainesville, Jefferson & Southern, which in 1904 was reorganized as the Gainesville Midland.

(2012 photo)

The county seat of Walton County, Monroe is located 35 miles east of Atlanta.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home