Millen Depots

The old freight depot at Millen, built in 1868 by the Central of Georgia, provides a historic setting for the local chamber of commerce. Inside is a museum operated by the Jenkins County Historical Society.

Nearby is a more recent depot, built in 1915 (below). It is currently used by Norfolk Southern.

This old postcard view shows the roof with red tiles, chimneys, and dormers, all now gone.

The Central of Georgia provided Millen with direct connections to Macon, Savannah, and Augusta. For a time, the city was also served by the Georgia & Florida Railway which ran south to Vidalia, Douglas, and Valdosta.

More information:

Old photos of the depot at carrtracks.com

1981 photo at Georgia's Virtual Vault.

1917 Sanborn map showing the two depots.

Millen (pop. 3,049) is the county seat of Jenkins County in east central Georgia. It is about 50 miles south of Augusta.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home