The 1937 depot at Manchester (building on the right, above) is still in use by CSX. The flat-roofed building to the left is used by the railroad for its centralized traffic control operations.
The town is at the junction of rail lines from Atlanta, Birmingham, and Waycross built by the Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad in 1905-08. The AB&A became the Atlanta, Birmingham & Coast after its purchase by the Atlantic Coast Line in 1926. The AB&C was merged into ACL in 1946.
A short distance west of the depot is a railfan platform where some of the 40 trains per day can be comfortably and safely viewed.
Manchester (pop. 4,200) is in Meriwether County about 30 miles northeast of Columbus. It lies at the foot of Pine Mountain about halfway between FDR and Sprewell Bluff State Parks.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey