Madison Depots

Madison's Georgia Railroad depot is one of the oldest in the state. Built in the 1840s (or perhaps in 1857-58, suggests Wilber Caldwell), it has stood here for at least a century and a half. Parts of the building were set afire by Union troops in 1864, but the damage was repaired the following year.

Across the tracks is the town's former Central of Georgia depot (above), built in the early 1900s. In recent years the city government has been working to acquire, relocate, and rehabilitate it for a new use. (In 2013 it was moved farther from the tracks. Repairs to begin soon.)

The Central depot in January 2014, after the move.

Madison (pop. 4,000) is the county seat of Morgan County. Even though relatively small in population, the city has long been one of the state's most accomplished leaders in historic preservation and community planning and development.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home