Lavonia Depot

Lavonia's 1912 Southern Railway depot was renovated in the late 1970s for use as offices and as a local information center. In 2012 the city completed a historically sensitive rehabilitation that has brought the building closer to its original appearance, both outside and inside. Work included removal of dropped ceilings, reconstruction of the ticket windows and freight room doors, and repainting of the exterior in the original colors.

The building now houses a welcome center, downtown development program offices, and a community meeting room. A local history museum is planned for the near future.

The rail line, built as the Elberton Air-Line Railroad, later became part of Southern Railway, followed by Norfolk Southern. It is now operated by the Hartwell Railroad.

Lavonia, a city of 1,845, is located in Franklin County near Lake Hartwell.

Above, an older photo shows the building in an earlier color scheme.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home