Kingsland Depot

At the turn of the millenium, the rail depot in Kingsland stood beside deteriorating tracks that were once part of Seaboard Air Line Railway's main line down the east coast. Constructed after a 1914 fire destroyed its predecessor, the depot served its railroad duties for much of the twentieth century before its abandonment. For many years such well-known passenger trains as the Orange Blossom Special, the Silver Meteor, and the Palmland passed by this depot.

After being given to the City of Kingsland in 2005, it was moved a few blocks to the corner of King and Satilla streets at the eastern edge of downtown. In May 2012, it opened as the welcome center for the historic Kingsland Downtown District and trailhead for the Okefenokee Trail.

(Five photos above by Todd Storey, May 2014.)

This 1989 photo shows the depot at its earlier location beside the tracks.

View to the south, around 2002. At the time, the tracks were poorly maintained. (Photo by Chris Little.)

Before the move, 2006.

Before the move, northwest corner, 2006.

At the new site.

On the new foundation.

Kingsland is a town of 16,285 in southern Camden County, about four miles from the Florida border.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home