Kennesaw Depot

Kennesaw's depot was built in 1908 by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway, which leased the state-owned Western & Atlantic Railroad in 1890. In the early 1920s the front was extended and two passenger waiting rooms were added. Recently rehabilitated, the building now houses a museum of local history.

The depot was originally on a raised platform to make loading and unloading of the railcars easier.

Now a city of 31,000 in northwestern Cobb County, Kennesaw was a small community called Big Shanty when Andrews' Raiders borrowed the locomotive General here in 1862.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home