Jesup Depot

Damaged by a February 2003 fire, the 1903 Atlantic Coast Line depot at Jesup stood closed and forlorn for a decade before rehabilitation began in early 2012. It was particularly uninviting for Amtrak passengers, who had been forced to wait outside even before the fire due to the structure's deterioration.

Re-opened on March 8, 2013, the building includes a passenger waiting room and a local welcome center. The former freight room now serves as a community meeting room. Funding for the rehab was provided through the federal Transportation Enhancement program. In 2014 the project won an Excellence in Rehabilitation award from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.

Jesup is one of five Amtrak stops in Georgia, the others being Savannah, Atlanta, Gainesville, and Toccoa.

The rehab is nearly complete in this October 2012 photo.

The depot during its darker days.

The photo above shows some features of the depot area that no longer exist. A 1908 Sanborn map (below) identifies these as a 50-ft water tower with a capacity of 50,000 gallons and a small restaurant adjacent to the depot. The depot itself had what appears to be an interlocking tower. Two ACL lines diverged at the southwest end of the depot area, while the Southern Railway crossed the ACL on the northeast side. The tracks on the left connect to the ACL freight depot (demolished), which stood across Cherry Street one block to the southwest.

Jesup, a city of 10,278 near the Georgia coast, is the county seat of Wayne County. It is about 65 miles southwest of Savannah.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home