Helena Depot

The depot at Helena stands beside the former Seaboard Air Line Railway tracks now operated by Heart of Georgia Railroad. The line was constructed in 1889 by the Savannah, Americus & Montgomery Railway.

A couple of blocks north the rails cross an older line built as the Macon & Brunswick in 1869. It was bought in 1881 by the East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia, operated for many years by ETV&G successor Southern Railway, and is now operated by Norfolk Southern.

The depot was rehabilitated in the late 1990s.

The Railway Express Agency was a package delivery service associated with rail transportation. It ended operations in 1975.

The Seaboard crossing the Southern at Helena. (Atlhough today it's actually the HOG crossing the NS.)

A middle Georgia town of some 3000 residents, Helena is located about two miles west of McRae in Telfair County.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home