Hartwell Depot

Hartwell's depot dates to either 1885 or 1905, depending on which source one accepts. Long used by the Hartwell Railway, the depot currently stands vacant.

In the 1980s, an ill-fated tourist railroad, the Hart County Scenic Railway, also known as the Red Carpet Line, operated between here and Bowersville, ten miles to the west. A 1925 Baldwin 2-6-2 occasionally provided power, along with the line's 1940s-vintage 44-ton GE diesel.

Hartwell is a city of 4,335 in northeast Georgia. It is the county seat and principal city of Hart County.

The roof's wide overhang provided ample shelter for passengers.

An older photo shows an earlier paint scheme.

 

The depot was conveniently located for the local guano trade.
(From 1917 Sanborn map. Online at Digital Library of Georgia.)


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home