Hampton Depot

Built in 1880-81, the Central of Georgia depot at Hampton is one of Georgia's finest examples of nineteenth-century railroad architecture. The substantial red brick structure, donated to the city in 1975, was long used for municipal offices and as a police station. It is now a community center and museum.

The town was called Bear Creek Station in the mid-1800s.

Various repairs were being made when this photo was taken.

Intricate brickwork above the entrance.

Freight room doors.

Rollers and track on freight room doors.

Roof trusses.

Hampton depot

Photo by William Shealy, 2003.

Hampton depot

Photo by Katie Gohn, 2003.

Hampton is a town of 7,000 people on the south side of metro Atlanta.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home