Gray Station, about 17 miles north of Macon, was a stop on the Central of Georgia's Macon-Athens line, originally constructed in 1886-88 by the Covington & Macon Railroad. In 1891 the C&M became the Macon & Northern, with the north end being Athens rather than Covington. The Central bought it in 1895. Although the line has been discontinued north of Madison and no longer enters Athens, most of it continues in use by Norfolk Southern.
The community is currently (2013) working to acquire and rehabilitate the former Central of Georgia depot to become a welcome center and history museum.
A town of 3,260 people, Gray is the county seat of Jones County. It is located in middle Georgia about 12 miles north of Macon.