Grantville Depots

The Grantville passenger depot stands alongside the former Atlanta & West Point Railroad, now the Atlanta-Montgomery line of CSX. It currently houses the Coweta County Genealogical Society and Historical Research Center.

Diagonally across the tracks is a separate freight depot built in 1852. Originally used for both passengers and freight, it was converted to freight-only when the newer building opened. It is currently a community meeting facility.

(All photos above made 2006)

An older photo of the passenger depot.

A pre-1900 view of Grantville's depots. (From: The Heart of the South along the line of the Atlanta & West Point RR. Atlanta: Atlanta & West Point RR and Western Railway of Alabama, 1898. Online at Internet Archive.)

Grantville, a town of 1,554 in Coweta County in west Georgia, was named for Lemuel P. Grant, chief engineer of the Atlanta & LaGrange Railroad, which later was renamed the Atlanta & West Point.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home