Fort Valley Depots

For much of its history, Fort Valley was a bustling junction of Central of Georgia lines to Macon, Columbus, Albany, and Perry, as well as a Southern Railway line to Atlanta. Fortunately the town has preserved a significant portion of its railroad heritage including two historic depots and an unusual multipurpose tower.

The U-shaped former Central of Georgia passenger depot was built in 1900. During the years after its railroad service, it housed a variety of business offices and shops. In early 2012 it was donated to the Fort Valley Downtown Development Authority to be used for heritage tourism.

The depot in 1991.

View of the depot from Lowe Street.

Trackside view from an old postcard.

This old trackside view shows the passenger depot along with the tower that once housed the Van Roy lunch room on the first floor and a telegraph office on the second floor. The second floor may also have had interlocking equipment for controlling train movements. Apparently both buildings had red tile roofs.

A streetside view of the two buildings.

A block south is the 1871 Central of Georgia freight depot, an immense brick structure that must have seen many a bale of cotton and bushel of peaches pass through its doors. It was used for a time by the shortline Ogeechee Railroad. In 2006, Georgia DOT provided $500,000 in Transportation Enhancement funds to rehabilitate the building.

View to the north. Tracks are on both sides of the building.

View to the east.

Fort Valley, a town of 9,815 residents, is the county seat of Peach County in middle Georgia.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home