Forsyth Depots

Central of Georgia Railway depot, Forsyth, Georgia

The 1899 Central of Georgia Railway passenger depot at Forsyth, now a local history museum, was designed by Bruce & Morgan of Atlanta, a partnership that also produced the Union Depot at Columbus as well as over a dozen Georgia county courthouses and many other notable buildings.

Forsyth depot

The building once had a porte-cochère in front, as can be seen in this old photo.

Forsyth depot

The track side of the depot is marked by a massive tower with a pyramidal roof. The building's floor plan is here.

Central of Georgia Railway depot, Forsyth, Georgia, c. 1900

From: Railway Age, July 6, 1900, p. 10.

The baggage room (left) is separated from the main building.

Some of the exhibits in the museum.

Standing nearby is an older depot, one of the oldest in Georgia. Built sometime between 1846 and 1850 for the Macon & Western Railroad, it served the community before the 1899 depot replaced it. After the new depot opened, this building was used for freight.

The rugged stone structure was rehabilitated in 2004-05.

An old fire truck and steam engine are among the outdoor exhibits.

Forsyth, in middle Georgia, is a city of 3,817 people. It is the county seat of Monroe County.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home