The former Southern Railway depot in Flowery Branch was sold to the city for one dollar in 1972 for use as a community center. In 2000 it was moved 50 feet from its original trackside location but kept in the same orientation to the railroad.
A basement with restrooms was added at the new site, and several nonhistoric alterations, such as plywood-and-batten siding and a wood-shingle roof, were removed. The architect for the project was Garland Reynolds, of nearby Gainesville, and funding was provided primarily by the Transportation Enhancement program and a Georgia Heritage Grant.
During the 2000-01 rehabilitation, workers found old documents that indicated that the depot dated back to 1890, rather than 1901 as previously thought. Possibly the freight room was constructed in 1890 and the passenger section added in 1901.