Fairburn Depots

Fairburn has separate passenger and freight depots. Built in 1916-17 by the Atlanta & West Point Railroad, the two depots stand on opposite sides of a downtown rail bridge constructed at the same time. Automobile ownership was booming at the time, necessitating an auto passage under the busy railroad.

Passenger depot, streetside, south end.

Passenger depot, streetside, north end.

Passenger depot, from west side of street.

Passenger depot, trackside.

Freight depot, streetside.

Freight depot, trackside.

The passenger depot is currently occupied by a local law firm.

The freight depot houses a local graphics business. 

Between the two buildings is this 1917 railroad bridge. The former Campbell County Courthouse stands in the background.

An 1898 booklet by the A&WP included this photo of an earlier station, noting that commuters could ride from here to Atlanta at half a cent per mile.
(From: The Heart of the South along the line of the Atlanta & West Point RR. Atlanta: Atlanta & West Point RR and Western Railway of Alabama, 1898. Online at Internet Archive.)

A city of 13,363 in south metro Atlanta, Fairburn was the county seat of Campbell County until 1932, when the Depression forced the merger of the county into Fulton County. The old courthouse still stands near the depots.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home