This red brick, tile-roofed depot at North Oliver and Deadwyler streets was built in 1910 by Seaboard Air Line Railway. It is now the home of the Elbert County Historical Society. Note its similarity to the SAL depot in Winder, built the same year, and the SAL depot in Richland, constructed in 1913. (Photo: October 2007 by Carmine Fischetti.)
The site also includes a Southern Railway caboose, No. X622.
An old waiting room bench in the depot features hole-punched SAL lettering in its backrest. (Photo: October 2007 by Carmine Fischetti.)
Details of the roof brackets.
The former Southern Railway freight depot stands a short distance down Railroad Avenue from the SAL passenger depot. A 1922 Sanborn map indicates that Southern's passenger depot once stood next door. (Photo: February 2003.)
Elberton, the county seat of Elbert County in northeast Georgia, is a city of 4,658 people.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey