Elberta Depot

Elberta depot in Warner Robins viewed from tracks

It's been a while since Elberta's Southern Railway depot was actually in Elberta, a small unincorporated community on U.S. 129 between Macon and Warner Robins. For several years the depot stood at the Houston County Fairgrounds, where it was used by the Middle Georgia Model Railroad Club. Today it is located next to Warner Robins' railroad depot at the corner of Watson Boulevard and U.S. 129.

Elberta depot in Warner Robins viewed from street

The Elberta depot was built sometime around 1918 when the railroad was the Georgia Southern & Florida. Elberta itself was named for the Elberta peach, a variety of the fruit once shipped in great quantities from various railroad depots in middle Georgia.

In late 2012 the city government was working to rehabilitate the building as part of local heritage tourism efforts.

Warner Robins is a city of 52,000 in Houston County, It lies on the west side of Robins Air Force Base.

Elberta peach

 

 

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home