Duluth Depot

In 1975, Duluth's 1871 Southern Railway depot was moved from downtown to a site on Pleasant Hill Road, then moved again in 1986 across the road to the city's W.P. Jones Park (named for a former mayor who loved trains). In 2008 the building was moved from the park to the Southeastern Railway Museum at 3615 Peachtree Road in Duluth, where it has been restored.

Baggage cart next to the freight room.

The depot agent's office.

The depot now has two tracksides. A miniature train runs on the former street side of the building, while much larger Norfolk Southern consists rumble by the original trackside.

Duluth depot at W.P. Jones Park

The depot when it was at W. P. Jones Park.

The distinctive dormer on the red-tiled roof was a feature seen on several other Southern Railway depots.

Here's the dormer as it looks today.

Photos of the depot at various stages in its history are available at the Georgia DNR Historic Preservation Division website.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home