Dalton depots

Western & Atlantic depot at Dalton

The Western & Atlantic depot at 110 Depot Street in Dalton was constructed in 1852 by Eugene LeHardy, chief engineer of the railroad. Purchased by the City of Dalton in 1978, the National Register-listed building now houses a popular restaurant.

Western & Atlantic depot at Dalton, doorway

A doorway to the W&A depot.

Southern Railway depot at Dalton

A couple of blocks down the tracks to the south is the 1914 Southern Railway depot. Rehabilitated in 2009, it now houses the local convention & visitors bureau and the Downtown Dalton Development Authority.

The Southern Railway freight depot before its rehabilitation. (Photo by Paul Simo)

Passenger depot at Dalton, now gone

A separate passenger depot once stood on the south side of the W&A depot.

The photo above, from around 1930, shows a Dalton passenger depot that stood at the end of Crawford Street from the early 1920s to the early 1970s. A parking structure now stands on its site. An earlier union passenger depot is indicated on this 1914 Sanborn map.

Dalton, a city of 30,000 and growing, is the county seat of Whitfield County in northwest Georgia.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home