Conyers Depot

(May 2013 photo)

Conyers' Georgia Railroad depot, built in 1891-92, is somewhat unusual in Georgia with its two-story center section. The architect was Bradford L. Gilbert, who also designed the Flatiron Building (English-American Building) at 84 Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta.

The station has been restored by the Rockdale County Historical Society and is now used as a meeting and banquet facility.

The county seat of Rockdale County, Conyers is a city of 12,000 on the east side of metro Atlanta.

Gilbert's architectural rendering for the depot. (From: Bradford Lee Gilbert, Sketch Portfolio of Railroad Stations and Kindred Structures, 1895. Online at Google Books.)

The two photos above, made several years ago, show that the depot was constructed with a gable roof at each end rather than the hipped roofs designed by Gilbert. The slight curve of the roofline where it transitions to the overhang was a feature of several other Georgia Railroad depots; this may be the reason that the hipped roof was rejected.

A 1953 photograph of a Georgia Railroad freight train stopping at the depot is online at the Vanishing Georgia website.

For more information on the architect, see Daniel Coe's bradfordleegilbert.com.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home