Columbus Depots

Columbus Union Station, built in 1901 and designed by the Atlanta architectural firm of Bruce and Morgan, once served the Central of Georgia and Southern Railway. Passenger service ended in 1971. The building, also known as the Sixth Avenue Station, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. 

Rehabilitated as an office facility by Total System Services, Inc., Union Station now houses the Greater Columbus Georgia Chamber of Commerce. (1200 Sixth Avenue).

To the east of the passenger station once stood the Central's freight depot, a long narrow structure that extended the entire block from Twelfth Street to Thirteenth Street. Across the railyards to the southeast were the railroad's repair shops and roundhouse. See 1907 map (420K).

An old postcard image shows the station as it looked from Sixth Avenue a century ago. Note the arch-roofed trainshed at the rear. Built in 1881-82, it was similar in design to early trainsheds in Atlanta, Augusta, Macon, West Point, and Chattanooga.

Trackside at Union Station. (Photo by Carmine Fischetti).

At Sixth Avenue and Thirteenth Street is the 1916 Southern Railway freight depot. A photo of the building is online at Flickr here.

At Front Avenue and W. Tenth Street is a Seaboard Air Line Railway freight depot (above), built in 1902 to serve the mills and warehouses in the riverfront area. It burned on August 10, 1977 but was rebuilt. The building now serves as the Seaboard Depot Art Studios of the Columbus State University Department of Art.

A photograph of the depot before the 1977 fire. (View looking to NW; top view is looking to SW). This Historic American Engineering Record photograph, other photos, and building plans are online at the Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Online Catalog here.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home