Climax Depot

The Atlantic Coast Line depot in Climax stands in a city park (site of the annual Swine Time Festival) in this small Decatur County town. The building was constructed around 1902 and moved to the park in 1980.
(April 2011 photo).

Photographer Tom Solomon took this 1973 photo of the depot at its original location beside the tracks.
From: Tom Solomon Photographs, Dothan Landmarks Foundation, Inc. Records, RG030. Archives of Wiregrass History and Culture, Troy University Dothan Campus, Dothan, AL. Note: Photo cropped to better fit this page.

The town was named for its status as the highest point on the railroad line between Bainbridge and Savannah. Situated atop Curry Hill, a long ridge known to geologists as the Pelham Escarpment, Climax stands at the end of a relatively steep climb for eastbound trains.

Before acquiring its present name in 1883, the community was called Bainbridge Junction, resulting from the construction of a branch line that once ran southwest along the escarpment to Chattahoochee, Florida. Built in 1882 by ACL predecessor Savannah, Florida & Western, the 30-mile line was abandoned in 1984.

This 1955 topographic map shows the Curry Hill grade west of town.
(Whigham 15-min. quadrangle, USGS).

Rail lines once ran south from Climax to Amsterdam, Fowltown, and River Junction (Chattahoochee, FL).

It was once possible to reach Climax from Port St. Joe by train.
(Image from State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory).


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home