Chickamauga Depot

No. 610 rolls by the Chickamauga depot.

The Central of Georgia built Chickamauga's depot in 1890. In later years the building suffered from remodelings and modernizations which included removal of the overhanging roof as well as the conical tower which rose above the trackside bay window. Recently the roof and tower were reconstructed in their original form.

The depot now houses the Walker County Regional Heritage and Train Museum.

Chickamauga is a town of 2,400 in Walker County in northwest Georgia.

No. 610, a 1952 Baldwin 2-8-0 rolls past the depot on a 2005 rail excursion of the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.)

An early photo shows the tower as originally built.

The depot without its tower.

The depot before the tower was reconstructed. (Photo by Leamon Scott)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home