Cartersville Depot

Cartersville's former Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway depot looks a bit stubby because the freight room, which occupied some three-fourths of the building's former 200-foot length, was demolished in 1972. The surviving passenger section dates to 1902. Parts of the walls on the freight side are older, dating back to the 1850s or 1860s, but these are meager remnants of the structure that once stood here. Further damage was inflicted when the brick was sandblasted at some point in the past. The depot has seen better treatment since 2001 when it was rehabilitated under the direction of Smith Dalia Architects of Atlanta.

The original Western & Atlantic Railroad depot on this site was constructed in 1854. In 1890 the W&A was leased to the NC&StL, which was merged into the Louisville & Nashville in 1957. L&N was folded into CSX in 1980. CSX still operates the line under a lease from the State of Georgia, which has owned it through its entire history.

The depot now houses the local Main Street program and other community devlopment offices.

More info on the depot is available at roadsidegeorgia.com.

Above, an old postcard view of the building.

A block north of the depot is the Bartow History Museum, located in a former county courthouse built in 1869. The white structure in the background is the Booth Western Art Museum.

Cartersville, the county seat of Bartow County, is in northwest Georgia about 40 miles north of Atlanta.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home