There's some uncertainty about when this depot was constructed. Some say it was 1888; others say earlier. Wilber Caldwell (see Sources & References) puts it closer to 1875. In any case, the front portion appears to be a newer addition.
The first train came to Carrollton in 1874. At the time, the rail line was the Savannah, Griffin & North Alabama Railroad, which was controlled by the Central. Eventually the line became the Central's Griffin-Chattanooga route.
Carrollton, a city of 25,000 and the county seat of Carroll County, is the home of the University of West Georgia.