Camilla Depot

Camilla's 1911 Atlantic Coast Line depot closed in 1984 and then sat deteriorating for years. In the early 2000s it was rescued and given new life as a meeting facility and chamber of commerce office thanks to an infusion of $200,000 in Transportation Enhancement funds.

The red-brick structure is particularly notable for its large arched windows and detailing on the passenger end of the building. The former freight room has been beautifully rehabilitated and now provides plenty of space for meetings and events.

The county seat of Mitchell County, Camilla is a city of 5,672 in southwest Georgia.

Above, a view of the depot before it was rehabilitated. 

An old photo of this depot and an earlier ACL depot is at camillaga.com


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home