Camak Depot

Still in use by CSX, the once-attractive Camak depot was disfigured by remodeling some years ago. The cafe and breezeway at the east end of the building were demolished, and most of the windows were shortened or filled in. (See Robert H. Hanson's Safety, Courtesy, Service; History of the Georgia Railroad for photographs of its earlier appearance.)

Built in 1898, the building served the Georgia Railroad and the Savannah & Atlanta Railway.

The town (pronounced CAM-ack) was named for James Camak of Athens, one of the founders of the Georgia Railroad in the 1830s. Located in Warren County in eastern Georgia, it has a population of about 150.

Camak hosts an annual Railroad Days Festival to celebrate its rail heritage. More information is available at the festival website.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home