Cairo Depot

The Atlantic Coast Line depot in Cairo was built in 1905. It now houses the local police station.

The above photo by Tom Solomon, dating from around 1968 to 1975, shows the depot before the loading dock, semaphore signals, and chimneys were removed. (Tom Solomon Photographs, Dothan Landmarks Foundation, Inc. Records, RG030. Archives of Wiregrass History and Culture, Troy University Dothan Campus, Dothan, AL.)

Comparing Solomon's photo with this older photo indicates that the bay window was altered and a chimney was added.

Cairo, the county seat of Grady County, is a city of 9,700 in southwest Georgia.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home