Byron Depot

The 1870 Central of Georgia Railway depot in Byron now houses exhibits on the railroad and local history.

The town, named for the poet Lord Byron, got its start when the Southwestern Railroad was built through here before the Civil War.

The rail line through town is still active, carrying trains of Norfolk Southern.

A passenger could leave Byron and be in downtown Macon in thirty minutes.

An older photo of the depot.

Byron is in Peach County about 15 miles south of Macon.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home