At 560 Walton Way is the former Central of Georgia Railway freight depot (above). Before the Central, it served the Port Royal & Augusta Railway. The building was rehabilitated in 1983 for use as a catering and banquet facility under the name Pullman Hall. Fortunately it has retained its railroad character and still has active tracks along its west side. Unfortunately, in the late 1980s Walton Way was raised above those tracks blocking views of the building's front facade.
On the east side of the Central of Georgia block once stood the machine shops and roundhouse of the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway.
As of this writing, one other "Augusta" depot should be noted. The 1917 Warrenton depot of the Savannah & Atlanta Railway stands beside the Old Richmond Academy at 540 Telfair Street in downtown Augusta, where it once served as a museum exhibit. When the Augusta Museum of History moved to a new building on Reynolds Street a few years ago, the depot was left behind. Community leaders in Warrenton, about 40 miles west of Augusta, are currently working to get the depot moved back.
Among the now-demolished railroad facilities in Augusta were the depot and shops of the narrow-gauge Augusta, Gibson & Sandersville Railroad. These stood at the river between the railroad bridge and the Southern freight depot. In the block bounded by 5th, Fenwick, Washington, and Watkins streets were the freight yards and depot of the Charlotte, Columbia & Augusta Railroad.
In the block between 7th, 8th, Fenwick, and Walker streets were the shops and roundhouse of the Georgia Railroad. The Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center now stands on the site.