Atlanta & West Point Railroad
Freight Depot at Ormewood

In November of 1900, the A&WP Railroad leased the newly constructed 5.5-mile Atlanta Belt Line, which extended from the A&WP main line near West End through southeast Atlanta to the Georgia Railroad at Inman Park. To serve the industries which were expected to locate in the area, the A&WP built a new freight depot. According to railroad historian Robert H. Hanson, the first depot was a frame structure that stood south of Memorial Drive. Around 1930, it was replaced by the present building, at 904 Memorial Drive.

Constructed of red brick with Georgian Revival styling, the building hardly looks like a freight depot. Apparently, the A&WP had high expectations for the neighborhood, an outlook which proved well-founded for a while. In the mid-twentieth century, however, prosperity moved elsewhere and the depot was abandoned and boarded up.

The depot in 2003.

After standing vacant for years, it was converted into a restaurant in 2007-08. The formerly decaying properties around the building have also been rehabilitated, and the neighborhood is now on an upswing.

Trackside. The tracks are gone for now, but a transportation corridor will return with the Atlanta Beltline.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home