Opened in the spring of 1930, Atlanta's third Union Station stood between Forsyth and Spring streets, three blocks northwest of the two earlier facilities. Built above the tracks, the marble and limestone main building faced Forsyth Street, which like Spring Street, was elevated in the area known as the "railroad gulch." If Union Station had survived, it would today be facing the Five Points MARTA station.
McDonald & Company, of Atlanta, the designing architects and superintending engineers completed the building at a cost of $250,000 and the entire facility at $600,000. Services included a luncheonette and a barber shop. An elevated parking deck and a viaduct to Spring Street behind the station (both visible in the photo above) accommodated growing automobile and truck traffic.
Union Station served the Atlantic Coast Line, Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis, Louisville & Nashville, and Georgia Railroad. After November of 1933, it also served the Atlantic, Birmingham & Coast.
The building was demolished in 1972. (Views of its site today.)