Americus Depots

Central of Georgia Railway depot at Americus, GA

Railway Age, July 6, 1900

The Central of Georgia's Americus passenger depot, completed in March 1900, was located on the north side of downtown, where it stood on the south side of McGarrah Street and the east side of the tracks. The freight depot was about three hundred feet south. The passenger station was demolished in the early 1970s. The 1869 freight depot survived nearly thirty years longer, but it too was eventually torn down, in May 2002. A photo of the building is at RRPictureArchive.net.

Central of Georgia passenger depot.

Another view of the Central depot in Americus.

Central of Georgia Railway, Americus passenger depot, floor plan

Above is a floor plan of the Central's passenger depot in Americus. The waiting rooms were arranged as follows: the white men's waiting room was at the lower left; the white women's waiting room was at the upper left; and the single African-American waiting room was on the right, between the agent's office and the baggage room.

Below is a description of the station from the July 6, 1900 issue of The Railway Age.

Description of the Central of Georgia Railway depot in Americus, GA, 1900

Seaboard Air Line Railway station in Americus, GA

Americus also had a Seaboard Air Line Railway depot (above). Designed by prominent Atlanta architects Bruce & Morgan, it stood on the south side of downtown, between S. Jackson Street and Forrest Street. It was demolished in 1968.

SAL's Americus shops were several blocks to the southeast, along the east side of Elm Street where it meets Dodson Street.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home